Thursday, July 5, 2007

A Mystery

First let me show you progress on the Sock Hop Sock as of July 4. May I say, I LOVE this yarn and am quite fond of this sock. It's all coming along quite nicely, and if you will notice the little ball of yarn posing under the heel, I may even be able to finish this sock without supplemental yarn! Keep your fingers crossed.
Now, for the mystery. I saw a query on Tsocktsarina's blog about this lovely yarn which Lisa had been gifted but had no clue what it was. Go over there to check out the beginning of the story, and follow it through several other posts for all the suppositions and guesses as to what it might be. Lisa posted it to Knitter's Review hoping someone would know it, but no real luck, although a few false leads. Nancy Drew here looked at it, thought a bit, and went stash diving.
And found this...


Last year, Susan of the Sisters of the Wool and I, also of the Sisters of course, made a field trip to check out a funky little yarn shop in Aledo, a tiny country town near here, that was closing its doors. Susan knows my love of Noro, and almost immediately, pitched a skein of this stuff over to me which I clutched to my breast as I searched for its sisters. It was the only Noro yarn in the shop. The owner was not there to ask questions. So I just bought all they had of it, figuring I would certainly find a use for it eventually. I scoured the web hoping to find more of the stuff, but there was nowhere any mention ever of Hisui by Noro.

Well, this looked just like the yarn the Tsarina was trying to identify, so in several conversations, we decided this was it!!! First mystery solved.The Tsok Tsarina even knitted up a swatch to see what it would do and it is pretty amazing, don't you think?

So now, the real mystery is...what will we do with it??? I'm going to watch the Tsarina to see what she comes up with. She is so clever. I'm liking the simple slightly lacy slipped stitch she has going on in this swatch, so we shall see. Stay tuned.

Still raining daily here, all the flowers that were planted for the hot summer have shriveled and given up the ghost. No zinnias for my garden this year. The lantana and hibiscus look sad. The roses are rotting with black mold. And even my standard cypress vines and herbs look pretty miserable. This can't continue, right? July in Texas, with temperatures in the low 80s and daily rain for months??? My phone lines are all waterlogged, making communication difficult and home officing a nightmare. People leave messages and I can't even tell who it is from the scratchiness in the lines. At least the lakes are full now, after years of running low and water rationing. The farmers are now worrying about waterlogged cotton and crops, instead of looking to the heavens and wondering if it would ever rain. One thing we have always been able to predict were hot, dry Julys and Augusts. Not this year.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hee - I've got another swatch that I'll try to post tonight - yet another simple slightly lacy slipped stitch. I love it so much I'm trying to think of a way to use both in the same piece; now all I gotta do is figure out what kind of piece it will be!

Jeri said...

fingers crossed for your sock yarn to hold out.

Lynn said...

Checking my feet for webbed toes. Taking them dancing tonight, webbed or not. And taking the socks just in case this dance stinks as much as the last one, LOL.

Love that yarn, love the socks, can't wait to see them finished.

Jo at Celtic Memory Yarns said...

Yep, I thought 'Noro' too, as soon as I saw the Tsarina's yarn. And then I saw yours and realised I wasn't the only one to recognise those amazing colourways.

Hope you had a great birthday, despite the rain! And I love the Sock Hop sock. Must get some of those cute sock blockers!