Monday, September 24, 2007

Fireworks and champagne, please!

And what are we celebrating? Just look at this, two finished objects!!!
First we have the June installment of the Rockin' Sock Club, Solstice Slip Socks in the colorway Firebird. I ran out of yarn not once, but twice. Wendy and Sheryl came to my rescue, both from Virginia. And LBinVA also offered. Those Virginians are surely nice folks with small feet and I send huge thank yous their way.

Speaking of Socks that Rock, have you seen all the new colorways on their website? Downright exciting and inspiring and I'm going to cut up my credit cards before I do some major damage. My all time favorite Moss Agate is back, but then there are the chickens...lots of chickens. Gorgeous chickens. And Pond Scum and Froggy and Gingerbread Dude and...yup, I could go on and on. Go check them out. The second item for celebrating is this, the Flame Wave Sock by Ann Budd from Favorite Socks. Knitted in Elann Esprit, a dead ringer for the specified Fixation. OK, to be honest, all they needed was kitchenering those toes, but it's done. Finito. Basta.

Two more projects are in the final throes of completion, but for that I'll wait until next time.
And this was the week-end that the Sisters had a special dyeing day at Heritage Arts with Lorelei. So it was back to Beaumont Ranch, where we were greeted by the wrought iron trees that line the entrance, and lots and lots of pumpkins. They are really getting ready for Halloween.There was the sheriff and his prisoner...
Rocking Horse Dude, whose hat had blown off and was way down the field. I felt obligated to find it and restore it to his pumpkin head before taking his picture.
Perhaps my favorite was the Cook with the crow on his head.
And this very bowlegged cowboy with his pumpkin head baby in the stroller. There were many more examples, including a bride and groom pumpkin head couple at the entrance, but by the time I wen to take their picture, the bride had blown over and was bottoms up. As if she had over-imbibed and made a fool of herself.The sisters were lining the street, intensely concentrated on their work.
Our dyestuffs resembled weird party drinks.
Taya was here from El Paso. It was so good to see her after a very long time.
Micki creating another masterpiece.Julia and Aisling actually looked up for a moment. Julia had planned her strategy down to making a graph for color placement based on the measurement of her feet and her stitch counts. I think that plan flew out the window pretty fast. I loved her yarn, but I think it went home for an overdye.
Rebecca and Knitstress Mary totally absorbed in their projects, did not look up.
And here we have Spider Guy, who supervised the lot. The heat was oppresive, and when we had had quite enough, we headed into the chapel to knit (what else) in the cool air.
And what is this beside the church?
Mary, Micki, Wendy and Susan were quiet as the proverbial churchmice in the light streaming through the stained glass windows. I don't think I got a photo of Grace, but The Grump was there alright. And Julia's sister Jeannie. And Carrie. And some young girls who were there from Colorado for a wedding and bored out of their gourds. They did some first time dyeing which turned out quite beautifully.
And here is the first of four batches to make it through the heat process. We were all a bit heat processed, too.
I'll close with some yarny goodness. Here are my "creations" that Grace so kindly organized with dyer Beth from Some Assembly Required. Thanks Grace. And Beth. Nice job. Some are wool and some are Merino/Tencel. There were something like 35 skeins to admire for the group.

6 comments:

Micki said...

Two FOs! It's enough to give me the vapors. You must be especially thrilled to have those Solstice Slip socks done. What a roller coaster those have been!

Thanks for the Heritage Arts recap.

bookgrump said...

Whoo hoo! You have two (COUNT THEM! TWO!!!!) finished objects to show on Tuesday night! You go girl!

Love the account of our dying adventure. So... Which yarn are you going to knit up first?

Aisling said...

Great run down of our day & great photos, too. I really like my yarn, I still need to second rinse it. Yes, I'm always so slow. Schoolwork is nearly done for the day, a little science left to go. Can't wait to see the socks tomomorow! Especially those ones you thought would never be completed :)

Anonymous said...

So fun! Love the church mice photo!

Lizzie came up to give me a hug and saw your socks...she just saw the green pair and said, "Those are nice socks." I scrolled up and she saw the pink ones and said, "Those are BETTER socks!" Hhahahahha. Truly a frou-frou girly-girl four year old, wouldn't you say?

Congrats on the FO's!
RM

Jo at Celtic Memory Yarns said...

Oh I so wish I'd been there with you all. I feel an ache inside for not being there. But oh was I ever along in spirit! I could almost feel the heat (I know, you'll say I didn't experience anything like heat when I was there, but for someone who habituates a gentle green place, it was pretty hot thanks!) The yarns look beautiful and I expect to see some spectacular FOs.

And WELL DONE YOU on finishing not just one but TWO pairs of socks. You now win the permission to start THREE new pairs (yes, it is incremental)

Emily Scott Banks said...

Wow. Those finished yarns are *really* *really* pretty.